17 November 2011

New Bucket List Entry

Seemingly ironically, I am reading both the works of Junot Díaz and Edwidge Danticat in two different classes. The more I read them more I want to get to know these authors. I have also read several online articles written by both these authors collectively and individually. The more I read, the more I love them.

Junot Díaz wrote a rather long list names to acknowledge at the end of his powerful novel The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. One of the entries reads as follows "Edwidge Danticat for being mi querida hermana".... be still my heart! It warms me to see such colaboration among authors.

This touched me so much that after reading the novel, I went to the author's web page, found his email address, and wrote him a fan message. I have never done such a thing both because I always thought doing so would bother a writer and because I never really connected to a novel so much. I was moved. Everything made so much sense to me in his novel that I thought that Junot was talking to me personally. I know I sound cliche, but  I really feel that Junot is one of the "Lena Boys" I meet on the street in my hometown, and stop and "hail" for a moment.  I can just hear him call me "Sistah Bets".

So now I have a new entry in my bucket list. To meet Junot Diaz and Edwidge Danticat either individually or collectively. Junot is a lecturer at MIT. Any one up to going to Massachusetts with me?

No comments: