12 December 2012

Season's Greetings!

While I have much to say about the Holiday Season, Christmas, New Years and all the other festivities that I enjoy this time of year and I love hearing what others do, I have one question in my mind. Some one please answer this... Why is Christmas celebrated with so much materialism?

How can we connect the Reason for the Season, the birth of Jesus and hope for humanity, with shopping, sales, deals, buying and selling? How did the spiritual truths get locked up in so much material items. Don't get me wrong... I love giving presents. I give presents because it gives me a delight when I find something that reminds me of someone. Beloved claims that gift giving is my predominate love language. I am not sure how much I buy into the 5 love languages that each person has, but I do know, the first thing I think of when I hear about a friend's baby's birth, a birthday, a new job, or when I go on a trip and think of a loved one is what sort of gift can I send....

I think this is different then the materialism fostered during Christmas time. I personally give presents because I want to, there is no obligation, no polite objection, no expectations. 

So when any of my loved ones ask me what I want for Christmas, I tell them all I want is a hug from them. 

What do you want for Christmas? Why do you shop during this time of year? 

3 comments:

Leonardo Melendez said...

I actually don't buy presents nor do I expect any. This end of year, I'm just grateful of the time I have to spend with the kids and Tracy. Merry Christmas Beth.

Beth said...

Merry Christmas to you too Leo! I hope you and Tracy and the kids have a great couple of days of hanging out!

Fel said...

I think your love language (because I buy into that stuff) is acts of service. You do give gifts....but in an "act of service" kinda way.

That said. For Christmas I think the family element is most important. It's the one time of year dis functionality can be laid aside and families have an excuse to be nice to each other. I took very much advantage of that this Christmas. Somewhere during growing up, presents lost their oomph and family seemed to be more special.