29 June 2007

Teachers and solidarity

I find it ivery interesting how teachers show so much solidarity here in Belize. It seems like they are ready to jump at any cause. Well, at least it seems to on a micro level. Let me explain....

For the last two years have studied with, cried along with, hurt for, hurt because of, learned and grew with a variety of student teachers. Some of them were fresh out of high school, young and giddy with lofty dreams about teaching. Others were middle age and calm, long past their second wind after being jaded so many times. And then there are the middle group of teachers with a few years of teaching under their belts who have realistic but hopeful ideals about teaching and life. Agree most of my peers are of mestizo or Latin American decent, a few are Creole, Mopan Maya, Yucatec, Q'eqchi Garifuna, East Indian or a mixture. Then me... an white daughter of an American expatriate (some call me one too, but I was too young to care when my mom moved here). We bled together, fought together and cried together.

When news came out that I failed, I found that my peers were all equally, nay, even more, upset about then I. Some many of them were willing to speak about the injustices of the sytem. So many were encouraging and uplifting. All were dangerous to listen to less I given into self indulgence and vainglory (truth is... I am not very good at teaching.... but I do love it). I had to hush so many who were winning to speak up about it.

Why, I wonder, are we then so given to so much of the gossip and malices that have been going around so much. My last summer at Sacred Heart has been tainted with finger pointing and harsh words. It is fourth form all over again. Maybe it is stress or tired, or excitement of finishing this course. I think it is sick. I hope no one is gossiping about me... but then I don't really care.

Gossip won't conquer the world, but love will. Hatred will enslave up love will free (I said that myself and hope to use it in a book some day).

4 comments:

Leonardo Melendez said...

Perhaps you should be the one called Solidus.

Beth said...

Sure..... (What is this guy talking about?)

♥ mommy author ♥ said...

oh hi there! :) thanks for visiting my site...
http://kathycot.blogspot.com

Beth said...

It was a pleasure... what time is it over there anyway?