03 June 2008

Writing

A friend of mine said that I should study writing. At first I thought she meant that I should read and notice writing styles and voices of others compare them. I told her that I do that all the time. Then she clarified that I should get go to university and get a degree in writing.

S I am looking at a few things. What do you call what she recommended? A degree in writing.... Would that be creative writing, journalism, what? Nothing in the school of creativity in uc mentions writing. Besides does a person have to go to school to be a writer... like they do to be a nurse or teacher or lawyer?

My time is over so i can't muse that thought with you anymore....

8 comments:

Canopenner said...

Any of those would be a writing degree I would think.

Anonymous said...

i think if your a creative writer then your a creative writer and you dont need a degree. Look at Diablo Cody, she didnt have a degree and was a blogger who enjoyed writing. eventualy she wrote a few scrips on the side and wrote a fantastic move in Juno.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you need a dregree to write. Not even to be a professional writer.

But a degree can help you get a job in writing, like with a company or something like that. Probably more so with a newspaper and such, but even then you don't always need a degree to get in.

Reema said...

Ummm...The physicist Albert Einstein did not directly participate in the invention of the atomic bomb.The atomic bomb related work that Einstein did was very limited and he completed it in two days during December 1941.

As for writing courses I googled it and found many links in first page itself. just do that.

http://www.lsj.org/
http://www.utoronto.ca/writing/courses.html
http://www.worldwidelearn.com/online-courses/writing-courses.htm

Reema said...

oh forgot one

http://education-portal.com/articles/10_Universities_Offering_Free_Writing_Courses_Online.html

Beth said...

I love my blogsphere! It is full of great people, with great advice!

Beth said...

Reema, where did you find all this! It would have taken me hours and I won't have gotten that much!

I am really bad about surfing the net

Reema said...

Just by searching on google. Hope u got the whole links on ur email id as a comment intimation cuz whole links doesnt get pasted here.Hope it helps.